Re: SET variable - Permission issues

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: SET variable - Permission issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/09/2011 09:09 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Having said that, I do think it might be useful to have ways of
> controlling the values that users can set for GUC values, not so much
> as a guard against an all-out assault (which is probably futile) but
> as a way for DBAs to enforce system policy.  But even that seems like
> a lot of work for a fairly marginal benefit....

I think the issues Josh raised are valid concerns for a number of use
cases. Even if you don't want to allow anyone on the Internet into your
database (as Josh does, since his application is a game and his attempt
is to set policies and privileges such that it is actually safe), there
are plenty of companies needing to run Postgres in a multi-tenant
environment.

Currently customer A canset work_mem = <some very large number>;
andset statement_timeout = 0;
and run a big query effectively DOS'ing customers B, C, and D. If these
two settings could be restricted by the DBA, there would be a much lower
chance of this happening. There are undoubtedly other holes to fill, but
it seems like a worthy cause.

Joe

--
Joe Conway