Re: : Tracking Full Table Scans

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: : Tracking Full Table Scans
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Venkat Balaji <venkat.balaji@verse.in> wrote:

> I am preparing a plan to track the tables undergoing Full Table
> Scans for most number of times.
>
> If i track seq_scan from the pg_stat_user_tables, will that help
> (considering the latest analyzed ones) ?

Well, yeah; but be careful not to assume that a sequential scan is
always a bad thing.  Here's our top ten tables for sequential scans
in a database which is performing quite well:

cc=> select seq_scan, n_live_tup, relname
cc->   from pg_stat_user_tables
cc->   order by seq_scan desc
cc->   limit 10;
 seq_scan | n_live_tup |      relname
----------+------------+--------------------
 81264339 |         20 | MaintCode
 16840299 |          3 | DbTranImageStatus
 14905181 |         18 | ControlFeature
 11908114 |         10 | AgingBoundary
  8789288 |         22 | CtofcTypeCode
  7786110 |          6 | PrefCounty
  6303959 |          9 | ProtOrderHistEvent
  5835430 |          1 | ControlRecord
  5466806 |          1 | ControlAccounting
  5202028 |         12 | ProtEventOrderType
(10 rows)

You'll notice that they are all very small tables.  In all cases the
entire heap fits in one page, so any form of indexed scan would at
least double the number of pages visited, and slow things down.

If you have queries which are not performing to expectations, your
best bet might be to pick one of them and post it here, following
the advice on this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin