RE: Copy data to DSA area

От Ideriha, Takeshi
Тема RE: Copy data to DSA area
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

Thank you for the clarification. I agree that leaving memory leaking in shared memory
without freeing it ends up cluster-wide problem.

>If the solution involves significantly different control flows (like PG_TRY(),
>PG_FINALLY() manual cleanup all over the place), then lots of existing palloc-based
>code will need to be reviewed and rewritten very carefully for use in this new kind of
>memory context.  If it can be done automagically, then more of our existing code will
>be able to participate in the construction of stuff that we want to put in shared
>memory.

About resetting X->a I was thinking about how to treat dangling pointer inside a new memory
context machinery instead of using PG_TRY() stuff. That's because putting PG_TRY() all over the
place becomes responsible for a developer trying to shared-memory-version MemoryContext and
it needs a lot of efforts as you noted. But in my mind even if PG_TRY() is used, it only affects new
code uses shared-memory version MemoryContext and doesn't affect current code.
I may be missing something here...

>I first thought about this in the context of shared plan caches, a topic that appears on
>this mailing list from time to time.  There are some other fun problems, like cache
>invalidation for shared caches, space recycling (LRUs etc), and of course
>locking/concurrency
>(dsa_allocate() and dsa_free() are concurrency safe, but whatever data structures
>you build with the memory of course need their own plan for dealing with concurrency).
>But a strategy for clean-up on errors seems to be a major subproblem to deal with
>early in the project.  I will be very happy if we can come up with something :-)

Yeah, I hope we can do it somehow.

>On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:40 AM Ideriha, Takeshi <ideriha.takeshi@jp.fujitsu.com>
>wrote:
>> From: Thomas Munro [mailto:thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com]
>> >postgres=# call hoge_list(3);
>> >NOTICE:  Contents of list:
>> >NOTICE:   1
>> >NOTICE:   2
>> >NOTICE:   3
>> >CALL
>> >
>> >You can call that procedure from various different backends to add
>> >and remove integers from a List.  The point is that it could just as
>> >easily be a query plan or any other palloc-based stuff in our tree, and the pointers
>work in any backend.
>>
>> Thanks for the patch. I know it's a rough sketch but basically that's what I want to
>do.
>> I tried it and it works well.
>
>After your message I couldn't resist a small experiment.  But it seems there are
>plenty more problems to be solved to make it useful...

Thank you for kind remark.
By the way I just thought meta variable "hoge" is used only in Japan :)

Regards,
Takeshi Ideriha