Re: Allow sorts to use more available memory

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: Allow sorts to use more available memory
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 9/12/2011 12:33 PM, Robert Schnabel wrote:
> The recent "data warehouse" thread made me think about how I use
> work_mem for some of my big queries. So I tried SET work_mem = '4GB' for
> a session and got
>
> ERROR: 4194304 is outside the valid range for parameter "work_mem" (64
> .. 2097151)
>
> A bit of searching turned up the "Allow sorts to use more available
> memory" section of the to-do list. Am I correct in reading that the
> max_val is 2GB and regardless of how much RAM I have in the box I'm
> stuck with only using 2GB? Am I missing something?
>
> I'm using: PostgreSQL 9.0.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 64-bit
> Windows 2008 Server Enterprise
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

work_mem is not the total a query can use.  I believe each step can use
that much, and each backend can use it for multiple bits.  So if you had
two backends, each doing 2 sorts, you'd use 2*2 = 4 * 2GB = 8GB.

-Andy

От: Robert Schnabel
Сообщение: Allow sorts to use more available memory
От: Shaun Thomas
Сообщение: Re: Allow sorts to use more available memory