Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 08/31/2011 04:03 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Well, the Unix approach is to use tools that do one thing well to build up more complex tools. Making pg_dump run
someexternal command to inject things into the stream seems like the wrong thing given this philosophy. Use pg_dump to
getthe bits you want (pre-data, post-data) and sandwich them around whatever else you want.

>> I agree... except for one little niggling concern: If pg_dump is injecting something, then the DDL is being grabbed
witha single, consistent snapshot. --pre and --post do not get you that (though we could probably use the new ability
toexport snapshots to fix that...)

> Eh, --pre and --post are pg_restore flags, so you already have a
> consistent snapshot.

We've been talking about adding them for pg_dump too.

I take Jim's point about the snapshot, but I still don't feel it's a
good reason to allow some arbitrary code or script to be run between
them (and after all, it's not likely to run with the same snapshot anyway).

cheers

andrew