Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 08/29/2011 11:03 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Instead of doing this only when vacuum costing is active, could we
> drive it off of the pgBufferUsage stuff (maybe with a few tweaks...)
> and do it unconditionally?

Sure.  I've wondered about an ever larger refactoring, to reorient
vacuum costing around completely:  drive it all from the pgBufferUsage
side rather than running its own totals.  I didn't even start wandering
down that path yet because of time constraints, plus the desire to have
something I could backport to installs having VACUUM issues on earlier
versions.  This code I'd backport without hesitation; something that
wanders toward a more complicated rearrangement becomes harder to deal with.

> To me it seems like it would better to say "write rate xyz MB/s"
> rather than "xyz MB/s write rate", but maybe I'm in the minority on
> that one.

I was just trying to mimic the style of the logging already there as
closely as I could.  I don't like the way the existing log message looks
either.  I wasn't going to ignore its style over that though.