Re: reltuples value less than rows in the table.

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: reltuples value less than rows in the table.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
parul <i.parultyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a index in a table. The value of the reltuples value in the
> pg_class table for this index is less than the number of rows in
> the table where the index is present.
> For eg. if i have 800 rows in the table , the reltuples in the
> pg_class for the index show the value as 769.
> What are the scenarios under which this kind of behaviour occurs?

The fine manual explains it here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/catalog-pg-class.html

To quote:

| Number of rows in the table. This is only an estimate used by the
| planner. It is updated by VACUUM, ANALYZE, and a few DDL commands
| such as CREATE INDEX.

Other operations which affect the number of rows in the table won't
change this column, so it can be off by a bit until the next
autovacuum or explicit operation which sets a new estimate.

> Also iam not able to execute the queries involving the indexed
> column in the where clause.

Are you saying that you expect that a plan would have been chosen
which would have used the index, but it is choosing some other plan?
If so, your best bet is to present the actual query.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin