Re: skip WAL on COPY patch

От Steve Singer
Тема Re: skip WAL on COPY patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11-08-23 04:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  writes:
>> What I think would be really interesting is a way to make this work
>> when the table *isn't* empty.  In other words, have a COPY option that
>> (1) takes an exclusive lock on the table, (2) writes the data being
>> inserted into new pages beyond the old EOF, and (3) arranges for crash
>> recovery or transaction abort to truncate the table back to its
>> previous length.  Then you could do fast bulk loads even into a table
>> that's already populated, so long as you don't mind that the table
>> will be excusive-locked and freespace within existing heap pages won't
>> be reused.
>
> What are you going to do with the table's indexes?
>
>             regards, tom lane

What about not updating the indexes during the copy operation then to an
automatic rebuild of the indexes after the copy (but during the same
transaction).  If your only adding a few rows to a large table this
wouldn't be what you want, but if your only adding a few rows then a
small amount of WAL isn't a big concern either.