Re: Parameters for PostgreSQL

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Parameters for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 04/08/11 11:42, Jayadevan M wrote:
Hello,

>The most important spec has been omitted. What's the storage subsystem?

We have storage on SAN, RAID 5.

RAID 5? That's *really* not ideal for database workloads, either Pg or Oracle, unless your RAID 5 storage backend has enough battery-backed write cache to keep huge amounts of writes in RAM and reorder them really effectively.

I hope each RAID 5 LUN is only across a few disks and is layered with RAID 1, though. RAID 5 becomes less reliable than using a single disk when used with too many HDDs, because the probability of a double-disk failure becomes greater than that of a single standalone disk failing. After being bitten by that a few times, these days I'm using RAID 6 in most cases where RAID 10 isn't practical.

In any case, "SAN" can be anything from a Linux box running an iSCSI target on top of a RAID 5 `md' software RAID volume on four 5400RPM HDDs, right up to a giant hundreds-of-fast-disks monster filer full of dedicated ASICs and great gobs of battery backed write cache DRAM. Are you able to be any more specific about what you're dealing with?

> > We are suing weblogic.
>           ^^^^^
> Best. Typo. Ever.
>
> I hear most people who use it want to, you're just brave enough to do it :-P
I wish I could make a few millions that way.

Thank you for all the replies. The first step is, of course, to migrate the data. I am working with ora2pg for that. I assume creating files with 'COPY' to work as input for PostgreSQL is the right approach? We don't have many stored procedures or packages. So that part should be OK.

От: Robert Ayrapetyan
Сообщение: Re: Performance die when COPYing to table with bigint PK
От: Robert Ayrapetyan
Сообщение: Re: Performance die when COPYing to table with bigint PK