Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases
Дата
Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 07/25/2011 11:06 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:

> Am 22.07.2011 21:15, schrieb Karl Nack:
>> to move as much business/transactional logic as
>> possible into the database, so that client applications become little
>> more than moving data into and out of the database using a well-defined
>> API, most commonly (but not necessarily) through the use of stored
>> procedures.
>
> Beside the points already mentioned, doing this will might cause
> bottle necks if you have complicated transactions as the DB-cluster
> might can not be scaled as good as maybe a farm of application server
> could be done.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that to handle business
logic processing, I may require X servers. Only a percentage of that
traffic actually requires database processing. if I use a cluster of
application servers against a single database, it will scale better then
if I have to cluster my database, which brings in all sorts of messy
master-master replication issues.

Is this accurate?

Sim

Сообщение: Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases
Сообщение: Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases