Re: Interesting article, Facebook woes using MySQL

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Interesting article, Facebook woes using MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dne 11.7.2011 21:50, Gauthier, Dave napsal(a):
> http://gigaom.com/cloud/facebook-trapped-in-mysql-fate-worse-than-death/
>
> How would PG stack up in a usage situation like this?

This article (and the slashdot discussion) was already mentioned in the
pg-advocacy list

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2011-07/msg00008.php

although it's mostly about the slashdot discussion - misconceptions,
falsehoods and flame baits presented there. I don't think the slashdot
it worth reading, it's full of nonsense (not a big surprise) and it's 48
hours old (which means 'dead' in slashdot terms).

Regarding the article itself, it contains very little information about
the "new SQL" - in short it just says three things:

 (1) It's difficult and expensive to build ACID-compliant distributed
     system using traditional RDBMS, especially if you don't know in
     advance you need to design it like that.

     This is where Stonebraker pokes into MySQL (or rather how Facebook
     used it), and I guess about the same could be true for PostgreSQL.

 (2) The NoSQL may help you to solve this problem when you don't need
     a relational storage and you have to respect the CAP theorem.

 (3) The "New SQL" is said to be the cure, i.e. SQL with advantages of
     NoSQL and without the disadvantages. As much as I respect
     Stonebraker, I doubt this can be done without breaking the CAP
     theorem but maybe I'm missing something ...

I personally see the article as a propagation of VoltDB, but that does
not mean it's a bad product. I guess it's time to play with it a bit.

regards
Tomas