Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 06/21/2011 07:19 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> 3ware controllers offer SMART pass-through, and smartctl supports it.
> I'm sure there's something similar for Areca controllers.

Depends on the model, drives, and how you access the management
interface.  For both manufacturers actually.  Check out
http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2008/08/linux-disk-failures-areca-is-not-so.html
for example.  There I talk about problems with a specific Areca
controller, as well as noting in a comment at the end that there are
limitations with 3ware supporting not supporting SMART reports against
SAS drives.

Part of the whole evaluation chain for new server hardware, especially
for SSD, needs to be a look at what SMART data you can get.  Yeb, I'd be
curious to get more details about what you've been seeing here if you
can share it.  You have more different models around than I have access
to, especially the OCZ ones which I can't get my clients to consider
still.  (Their concerns about compatibility and support from a
relatively small vendor are not completely unfounded)

Сообщение: Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID
Сообщение: Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID