Re: seq scan in the case of max() on the primary key column

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: seq scan in the case of max() on the primary key column
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 06/17/2011 06:22 AM, Svetlin Manavski wrote:

> Shaun, that solution is brilliant.

Don't thank me. I actually got the basic idea from a post here a couple
years ago. The only difference is I formalized it somewhat and put it in
our utility schema, where I put lots of other random useful stored procs
I've accumulated over the years. I have another one that works with
dates. :)

I assume you already modified it by removing the 'utility' schema prefix
from the recursive call. The recursive call is in case the child tables
are themselves used as a template for further inheritance. It's rare,
but possible. This function will always get you the max value on a
column in a series of partitioned tables, and quickly so long as it's
indexed.

It's a bit of a hack, but it's worked fine for us while we wait for the
planner to catch up. :)

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604

See  http://www.peak6.com/email_disclaimer.php
for terms and conditions related to this email

Сообщение: Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server
Сообщение: Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server