Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Dimitri,

> I understand perfectly but look at the situation the other way around :
> if the magazine was in US Letter format, then the rest-of-the-world
> would have to pay an expensive price to print it. From your point of
> view, Letter format is cheaper. But from a global perspective it would
> be more expensive.

Oh, I think there's no way around having two formats if we want to
distribute for full global access.  We'll also have to re-do the layout
for some of the translations; articles and headers will end up being
significantly shorter or longer under certain languages (e.g. Japanese,
Spanish).

> I've been there too :) My conclusion is that when we decide that some
> goodies are free, then we should give them all out. Regardless how much
> they cost. Like you said the worst thing is to sat on them...

Yeah, I'm just really excited about the magazine and would like to print
200 of them and give those all out at OSCON to people who are really
interested in PostgreSQL.  So I'm trying to make that affordable to do.

>> Biggest deadline would be getting them printed in time for OSCON.  June
>> 18th would be in plenty of time for that.
> ok

And like I said, let's see if we can find a separate volunteer to do the
US reformatting, rather than using your time.  Last I checked, you were
a consultant too.

> What is said was : **if possible**, i **would like** that **any fork**
> change their name. Then I repeated that it wasn't a strong opinion and
> that i was ok if you don't follow my view.

Given that you probably put in 60% of the time on the magazine (plus
another 25% of the time by Greg Smith), as far as I'm concerned if you
really don't want me to do something I won't do it.  Which is why I'm
trying to persuade you that it's a good idea.

> The problem we face here (providing a magazine in multiple page format)
> is complex. There's a reason why professional magazines don't do it.

Professional magazines have to pay all of their staff, and are seldom
using standard paper sizes regardless.

> Just try for yourself if you don't believe me...

Well, I know it's going to be hard for *me*, because I don't know
scribus very well.

> Actually, most of the time i would use Inkscape for flyers, precisely
> because scalable documents are a dream if you have to deal with multiple
> formats... Anyway i'm interested by your scribus flyers, where can i
> find them ?

Oh, the flyers are in a variety of formats.  Like for "10 Reasons to Use
PostgreSQL" one of the first tasks is to take it out of openoffice and
re-do it in some real layout tool.  The 8.4 flyers are Adobe.  Etc.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !