Re: Benchmarking a large server

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Benchmarking a large server
Дата
Re: Benchmarking a large server
Список pgsql-performance
On 05/09/2011 11:13 PM, Shaun Thomas wrote:
> Take a look at /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio and
> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio if you have an older Linux system,
> or /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes, and /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_bytes
> with a newer one.
> On older systems for instance, those are set to 40 and 20 respectively (recent kernels cut these in half).

1/4 actually; 10% and 5% starting in kernel 2.6.22.  The main sources of
this on otherwise new servers I see are RedHat Linux RHEL5 systems
running 2.6.18.  But as you say, even the lower defaults of the newer
kernels can be way too much on a system with lots of RAM.

The main downside I've seen of addressing this by using a kernel with
dirty_bytes and dirty_background_bytes is that VACUUM can slow down
considerably.  It really relies on the filesystem having a lot of write
cache to perform well.  In many cases people are happy with VACUUM
throttling if it means nasty I/O spikes go away, but the trade-offs here
are still painful at times.