Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?
Дата
Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Another point, as there appear to be diverging camps about
> supertransactional stored procedures vs. autonomous transactions, what
> would be the actual use cases of any of these features?  Let's collect
> some, so we can think of ways to make them work.

Here's where I wanted autonomous transactions just last week, and didn't
have them so I had to use a python script outside the database:

-- doing a CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY for 150 partitions on a partitioned
table.

-- doing a backfill operation for 10GB of computed data, taking 8 hours,
where I don't want to hold a transaction open for 8 hours since this is
a high-volume OLTP database.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?
Сообщение: Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?