Re: branching for 9.2devel

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: branching for 9.2devel
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/25/2011 02:26 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Overall, I think the advantages to a faster/shorter CF cycle outweigh
> the disadvantages enough to make it at least worth trying.  I'm willing
> to run the first 1-week CF, as well as several of the others during the
> 9.2 cycle to try and make it work.

It will be interesting to see if it's even possible to get all the
patches assigned a reviewer in a week.  The only idea I've come up with
for making this idea more feasible is to really buckle down on the idea
that all submitters should also be reviewing.  I would consider a fair
policy to say that anyone who doesn't volunteer to review someone else's
patch gets nudged toward the bottom of the reviewer priority list.
Didn't offer to review someone else's patch?  Don't be surprised if you
get bumped out of a week long 'fest.

This helps with two problems.  It helps fill in short-term reviewers,
and in the long-term it makes submitters more competent.  The way things
are setup now, anyone who submits a patch without having done a review
first is very likely to get their patch bounced back; the odds of
getting everything right without that background are low.  Ideally
submitters might even start fixing their own patches without reviewer
prompting, once they get into someone else's and realize what they
didn't do.