Fwd: [PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Fwd: [PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:30:59 -0500
From: J Sisson <sisson.j@gmail.com>
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>

Not sure if this is the right list...but:

Disclaimer:  I realize this is comparing apples to oranges.  I'm not
trying to start a database flame-war.  I just want to say thanks to
the PostgreSQL developers who make my life easier.

I manage thousands of databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and MySQL),
and this past weekend we had a massive power surge that knocked out
two APC cabinets.  Quite a few machines rebooted (and management is
taking a new look at the request for newer power cabinets heh).
Talking theory is one thing, predicting results is another...and yet
the only thing that counts is "what happens when 'worst-case-scenario'
becomes reality?"

Long story short, every single PostgreSQL machine survived the failure
with *zero* data corruption.  I had a few issues with SQL Server
machines, and virtually every MySQL machine has required data cleanup
and table scans and tweaks to get it back to "production" status.

I was really impressed...you guys do amazing work.  Thank you.