Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Personally, I want pgindent installed in /usr/local/ or similar. That
> way I can have multiple trees and it will work in all of them without
> my having to build it for each. What I don't want is for the installed
> patched BSD indent to conflict with the system's indent, which is why
> I renamed it. If you still think that's a barrier to easy use, then I
> think we need a way to provide hooks in the makefiles for specifying
> the install location, so we can both be satisfied.

I don't think there's a conflict here, because the sort of uses I'm
worried about don't want to install the thing at all; just to run it.  I
don't really care what "make install" does because I never intend to run
it; dumping into /usr/local is completely reasonable for the people who do.

> Since there's no script I know of other than your prototype, I don't
> think repackaging is likely to break anything. That makes it worth
> doing *now* rather than later.
>
> But frankly, I'd rather do without an extra script if possible.

Fine, the renaming bit I'm not really opposed to.  The odds there's
anyone using this thing that isn't reading this message exchange is
pretty low.  There is the documentation backport issue if you make any
serious change it though.  Maybe put the new version in another
location, leave the old one where it is?

There's a fair number of steps to this though.  It's possible to
automate them all such that running the program is trivial.  I don't
know how we'd ever get that same ease of use without some sort of
scripting for the whole process.  Could probably do it in a makefile
instead, but I don't know if that's really any better.  The intersection
between people who want to run this and people who don't have bash
available is pretty slim I think.  I might re-write in Perl to make it
more portable, but I think that will be at the expense of making it
harder for people to tweak if it doesn't work out of the box.  More
code, too.