Re: pgindent weirdness

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: pgindent weirdness
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 04/20/2011 11:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>> On 04/20/2011 05:48 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> BulkInsertStateData is not listed in the typedef list supplied by
>>> Andrew; see src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list.  CC'ing him.  This might
>>> be because the typdef is listed in two files:
>> It's tagged as a structure type by objdump, but not as a typedef:
> Hmm.  hio.h clearly declares it as both, but many object files probably
> include only heapam.h, which exposes only the struct name.  I'm guessing
> that you are merging the results from objdump'ing different files in a
> way that fails to consider the possibility of some files knowing more
> versions of a symbol than others.

We don't run objdump against individual object files, we run it against
the linked binaries, i.e. the contents of the installed bin and lib
directories.

But in any case, *none* of the individual files knows about
BulkInsertStateData as a typedef:
   [andrew@emma backend]$ for f in ./access/heap/hio.o   ./access/heap/heapam.o ./commands/tablecmds.o
./commands/copy.o  ./executor/execMain.o ; do objdump -W $f ; done | egrep -A3   DW_TAG_typedef | grep BulkInsertState
<1811>   DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0x1cc9):   BulkInsertState   <1f3c>   DW_AT_name        :
(indirectstring, offset: 0x296c):   BulkInsertState   <1fac>   DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0x5c5b):
BulkInsertState  <211b>   DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0x35ad):   BulkInsertState   <2530>
DW_AT_name       : (indirect string, offset: 0x3c93):   BulkInsertState

And the reason is actually fairly obvious on closer inspection. The only
place we actually use the BulkInsertStateData typedef (as opposed to the
struct declaration) is here:
   ./backend/access/heap/heapam.c:    bistate = (BulkInsertState)   palloc(sizeof(BulkInsertStateData));

and that sizeof operation will be resolved at compile time and never hit
the symbol table.

So I suspect that the typedef finding code is actually working just fine.

It looks like the real problem is in how pgindent handles the use of
'struct foo' in various places.

cheers

andrew