Re: pgbench \for or similar loop

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: pgbench \for or similar loop
Дата
Re: pgbench \for or similar loop  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> wrote:
> And for the "first-hack-that-comes-to-mind", I find my self
> pulling out the named fifo trick all the time, and just leaving my
> for/loop/if logic  in bash writing SQL commands to the fifo,
> occasionally getting psql to write an answer to a file that I then
> read back in bash....
I'm not clear on exactly what you're proposing there, but the thing
I've considered doing is having threads to try to keep a FIFO queue
populated with a configurable transaction mix, while a configurable
number of worker threads pull those transactions off the queue and
submit them to the server.  The transactions would need to be
scripted in some way such that they could query a value and then use
it in another statement, or use flow control for conditional
execution or looping.  And, of course, there would need to be a way
do define conditions under which a transaction would roll back and
retry from the beginning -- with the retry being a separate count
and the failed attempt not counted in the TPS numbers.
It would take that much infrastructure to have a performance test
which would give numbers which would correspond well to an actual
production load in our environment.  It still wouldn't be quite as
good as actually logging production activity and playing it back,
but it would come pretty close with a lot less work per test.
-Kevin

От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: pgbench \for or similar loop
От: Aidan Van Dyk
Сообщение: Re: pgbench \for or similar loop