Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> But it turns out that it doesn't really matter.  Whitespace or no
> whitespace, if you don't read the diff before you hit send, it's
> likely to contain some irrelevant cruft, whether whitespace changes or
> otherwise.

Right.  Presuming that pgident will actually solve anything leaps over
two normally incorrect assumptions:

-That the main tree was already formatted with pgident before you
started, so no stray diffs will result from it touching things the
submitter isn't even involved in.

-There is no larger code formatting or diff issues except for spacing.

This has been a nagging loose end for a while, so I'd like to see
pgindent's rough edges get sorted out so it's easier to use.  But
whitespace errors because of bad editors are normally just a likely sign
of a patch with bigger problems, rather than something that can get
fixed and then submissions is good.  There is no substitute for the
discipline of reading your own diff before submission.  I'll easily
obsess over mine for an hour before I submit something major, and that
time is always well spent.