Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 04/16/2011 09:12 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Greg Smith<greg@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
>> Joshua Berkus wrote:
>>> Then you can say that politely and firmly with direct reference to the
>>> problem, rather than making the submitter feel bad.
>>>
>> That's exactly what happened.  And then you responded that it was possible
>> to use a patch without fixing the formatting first.  That's not true, and
>> those of us who do patch review are tired of even trying.
> It would be worth a lot if we could get it enough easier to use
> pgindent, so that that could help *anyone* fix the formatting, as
> opposed to being something that Bruce runs once in a long while.
>
> If you can say, "here, run 'tools/frobozz/pg_indent' against each of
> your files, then resubmit the patch," and have at least a fighting
> chance of that being *nearly* right, that is a much nicer response to
> give those folks.
>
> Alternately, it would be nice if you could say, "I ran pgindent
> against your files, here's the revised patch, please do that yourself
> in future"
>
> When application of formatting policy is near-nondeterministic, that's no fun!

What makes you think this isn't possible to run pgindent? There are no
secret incantations.

But it's probably overkill. emacs' indent-region gives you about a 90%
result or better if you're set up correctly.

cheers

andrew