PostgreSQL on SMP Architectures

От Reydan Cankur
Тема PostgreSQL on SMP Architectures
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL on SMP Architectures  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

I have seen some work done about scaling PostgreSQL on SMP machines
and see that PostgreSQL has been executed on several numbers of cores.
I have some questions about scaling PostgreSQL on SMP architectures.

System Details that I am running PostgreSQL-8.4.0:
Server: HP Integrity Superdome SD32B
Processor: Intel Itanium2 1.6 GHz (dual-core)
Number of processors: 32
Number of compute cores: 64
Memory architecture: Shared
Memory amount: 128 GB
Disk amount: 4.6 TB
High performance network: InfiniBand 20 Gbps
Operating system: RHEL 5.1 IA64

Question 1) How can I run PostgreSQL on 2,4,8,16,32 and 64 cores and
get performance results?
I have seen some work about scaling POstgreSQL on SMP architectures
and in these slides there were performance results for PostgreSQL
running on different number of cpu cores. I want to execute PostgreSQL
for different number of cpu cores like 2,4,8,16,32,64 on above server.
But I do not know how to compile or run PostgreSQL on multiple cpu
cores. What is the exact command to tell Postgres to run on specified
number of cores? I need to run Postgres on multiple CPU cores and
document this work.

Question 2)Are there any official benchmarks for PostgreSQL
performance measurements?

I mean when someone wants to run an official performance test on
PostgreSQL which queries and tables must be used. I have executed my
queries on a 5 million record table in order to measure performance,
but I also want to use the official methods.

Question 3) How can I change the allocated memory and measure the
performance of PostgreSQL?

Thanks for all answers,

Reydan