Re: WAL, xl_heap_insert and tuple oid mystry

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: WAL, xl_heap_insert and tuple oid mystry
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12.04.2011 19:42, jagan wrote:
>>>   Where is the OID of tuple stored in a WAL record of a
>>>   tuple? If not with xl_heap_header, where is it stored? Is it
>>>   stored at all?
>
>      >  It's stored in the "tuple data" portion.
>
> Is the OID also recorded with xl_heap_delete record as well or just the xl_heaptid? From my reading of the code it is
notrecorded.

Correct, it's not.

> In general, why is OID of a tuple relegated as just another tuple data, when it can replace xl_heaptid as a much more
stabletuple identifier. I understand that by recording tuples in terms of xl_heaptid (i.e., page/offset) means that the
dbcan recover quickly but isn't there some value to storing a much "higher level" information in the WAL logs? For
example,tuple manipulations, if recorded in terms of manipulation on tuple oids, can support applications such as
these:

> http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/2011/03/03/more-musings-on-logical-replication/

Possibly. On the other hand, another common complaint is that PostgreSQL
writes a lot of WAL, much more than other DBMSs. Adding more
higher-level information to WAL records would make that issue even
worse. At the moment we only include the minimum amount of information
needed for recovery.

От: jagan
Сообщение: Re: WAL, xl_heap_insert and tuple oid mystry
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: fn_collation in FmgrInfo considered harmful