Re: Transforming IN (...) to ORs, volatility

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Transforming IN (...) to ORs, volatility
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On 05.04.2011 18:42, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 05.04.2011 13:19, Marti Raudsepp wrote:

>>> Is there a similar problem with the BETWEEN clause
>>> transformation into AND expressions?
>>>
>>> marti=> explain verbose select random() between 0.25 and 0.75;
>>> Result (cost=0.00..0.02 rows=1 width=0)
>>> Output: ((random()>= 0.25::double precision) AND (random()<=
>>> 0.75::double precision))
>>
>> Yes, good point.
>
> Hmm, the SQL specification explicitly says that
>
> X BETWEEN Y AND Z
>
> is equal to
>
> X >= Y AND X <= Z
>
> It doesn't say anything about side-effects of X. Seems like an
> oversight in the specification. I would not expect X to be
> evaluated twice, and I think we should change BETWEEN to not do
> that.
Does the SQL spec explicitly say anything about how many times X
should be evaluated if you were to code it as?:
X >= Y AND X <= Z
If it does, evaluating it a different number of times for BETWEEN
would seem to be a deviation from standard.  Evaluating it once seem
less surprising, but if we're going to deviate from the standard in
doing that, it at least deserves a clear note to that effect in the
docs.
Evaluating X once for BETWEEN seems better from a POLA perspective,
unless you happen to be massaging a query to another form and
trusting that the equivalence defined in the standard will always
hold.
> Does anyone object to making BETWEEN and IN more strict about the
> data types? At the moment, you can do this:
>
> postgres=# SELECT '1234' BETWEEN '10001'::text AND 10002::int4;
>   ?column?
> (1 row)
>
> I'm thinking that it should throw an error. Same with IN, if the
> values in the IN-list can't be coerced to a common type. That will
> probably simplify the code a lot, and is what the SQL standard
> assumes anyway AFAICS.
+1 for more strict.
-Kevin