Re: Multiple index builds on same table - in one sweep?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Multiple index builds on same table - in one sweep?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> FYI, in 8.3.13 I get this for all but one index:
>
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> DETAIL:  Process 24488 waits for ShareLock on virtual transaction
> 64/825033; blocked by process 27505.
> Process 27505 waits for ShareUpdateExclusiveLock on relation 297369165
> of database 278059474; blocked by process 24488.

Is that trying to build them by hand?  The upthread request here is
actually already on the TODO list at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo and it talks a bit about what works
and what doesn't right now:

Allow multiple indexes to be created concurrently, ideally via a single
heap scan
-pg_restore allows parallel index builds, but it is done via
subprocesses, and there is no SQL interface for this.

This whole idea was all the rage on these lists circa early 2008, but
parallel restore seems to have satisfied enough of the demand in this
general area that it doesn't come up quite as much now.