Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 04/05/2011 03:45 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Talking about the standards compliance of functions is a bit silly:
> our implementation of functions isn't even close to approximating what
> looks to be the standard (according to this at least:
> http://farrago.sourceforge.net/design/UserDefinedTypesAndRoutines.html)
> and there is no point pretending that it is.  In practice, database
> functions and procedures are 100% vendor incompatible with each other,
> and with the standard.  I was just talking about $ getting reserved
> for some special meaning in the future.
>
> mysql supports psm, which we don't.  oracle supports pl/sql, which is
> similar to pl/pgsql, but means nothing in terms of postgresql sql
> language argument disambiguation afaict.  It's our language and we
> should be able to extend it.

That doesn't mean we should arbitrarily break compatibility with pl/sql,
nor that we should feel free to add on warts such as $varname that are
completely at odds with the style of the rest of the language. That
doesn't do anything except produce a mess.

cheers

andrew