Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Oliver Jowett  wrote:

> What happens if the app then wants to run another query before
> reading the resultset?

Some JDBC drivers I've used do read the entire original ResultSet
into the heap when that happens.  If we redo the protocol, there
would probably be a way to design a better solution.

> I'm a little worried about error handling too.

Any code written for portability would deal with it, since most
drivers stream the results and can throw exceptions on next().  (It
is declared to throw that in the interface, after all.)  I don't know
whether there is PostgreSQL specific code with assumes that the
declared exception won't happen, but if that's a significant issue,
it could be solved by supporting both techniques and adding a
connection property.  I before going that far, I'd want to ensure
someone actually needed that, though.

-Kevin