Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 02/17/2011 11:58 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> There is native Windows editing like arrows, etc and history, though the
>>> history is not kept between sessions.  If windows is now using readline,
>>> then odds are we are shipping libreadline to make that happen, and we
>>> are then linking using a supplied GPL library (and we don't have the
>>> OS-installed exception).  I hope I am wrong.
>>
>> Readline has always been disabled on Windows builds AFAIK. Just look at
>> the buildfarm traces. Here's an example from
>> <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=frogmouth&dt=2011-02-17%2015%3A30%3A03&stg=configure>
>>
>>      configure: WARNING: *** Readline does not work on MinGW --- disabling
>>

>> It's not used in MSVC either, IIRC.
>
> OK, I was only responding to Stephen Frost who said psql did not behave
> like other Windows apps.

I think both of you have possibly been under a misapprehension. All this
discussion about the Windows installers is entirely irrelevant to this
thread, ISTM, since there is no readline use in them.

FWIW, the only interactively usable version of psql for windows I know
of is the one that runs under Cygwin. It can be build with readline and
works as expected.

cheers

andrew