Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/14/2011 10:23 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Hey, wanna join the fun?  That'd be awesome :)

Sure, I'll try to help.  Don't be surprised if that's not too often,
though.  I currently cannot promise to provide packaging in any kind of
timely fashion.  :-(

> Well in fact if you install a PostgreSQL version that is not officially
> supported in the debian release you're working with, then the script
> /usr/share/postgresql-common/supported-versions will output it too.

That's pretty much what I meant.  I tried to avoid that warning by
providing a newer version of the postgresql-common package.  However,
that approach doesn't work well with upgrades from Debian (because then
you get the warning back).

Another thing I tried was adding support for release candidates.  The
ability to distribute these as Debian packages could help getting them
more tested.  However, the "rc" in the version identifier isn't
currently appreciated by the perl scripts provided.  Anyway, that's
probably not top priority.

Where do we start?  How would you like to organize this?

(Martin used to have a git branch per distribution and per major
version.  That quickly gives you lots of branches and lots of only
slightly different code bases to work on.  Patching (or cherry picking)
back and forth turned out to be quite a mess.  Ideally I'd envision some
kind of template system to build all of the variations.  That would make
the minor differences obvious).

Markus