Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

От Anssi Kääriäinen
Тема Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/11/2011 05:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Actually, I was having second thoughts about that while at dinner.  What
> is the value of separating the bootstrap-an-extension-from-old-objects
> operation into two steps?  It's certainly not convenient for users, and
> I don't see that the intermediate state with an empty extension has any
> redeeming social value for developers either.  (If you need such a thing,
> just make an empty creation script.)
>
> So: let's forget the concept of a special "null version" altogether, at
> least from the user's-eye viewpoint.  Instead, the way to bootstrap from
> loose objects is something like
>
>     CREATE EXTENSION foo [ VERSION '1.0' ] [ FROM OLD ]
The above command assumes there is only one unpackaged version from
which users might update from. Is that what is wanted? I am wondering if
FROM OLD should be FROM OLD VERSION version (or better: FROM UNPACKAGED
VERSION version). This would also solve how to name the old version(s).
Author decides.
 - Anssi