Re: Spread checkpoint sync

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Spread checkpoint sync
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> There are occasional posts from those wondering why their read-only
> queries are so slow after a bulk load, and why they are doing heavy
> writes.  (I remember when I posted about that, as a relative newbie,
> and I know I've seen others.)

Sure; I created http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hint_Bits a while back
specifically to have a resource to explain that mystery to offer
people.  But there's a difference between having a performance issue
that people don't understand, and having a real bottleneck you can't get
rid of.  My experience is that people who have hint bit issues run into
them as a minor side-effect of a larger vacuum issue, and that if you
get that under control they're only a minor detail in comparison.  Makes
it hard to get too excited about optimizing them.