Re: general hardware advice

От Linos
Тема Re: general hardware advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
El 06/02/11 20:05, Scott Marlowe escribió:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Linos<info@linos.es>  wrote:
>> I am searching what would be the best hardware combination to a new server i
>> have to install, the new server will have a Postgresql 9.0 with a database
>> of about 10gb, the database part it is not the problem for me, in this size
>> almost, the part where i am a bit lost is that i have to share from the same
>> server about 20TB of data with samba or ISCSI (i have to test both ways to
>> share when i have the hardware) because this is to be the file-server of 8
>> Avid video workstations.
>>
>> I am pretty sure that the Postgresql should be installed in a raid10
>> configuration wigh pg_xlog in a different physical volume, i know too that
>> the most important things to Postgresql are memory and disks, i will get a
>> raid card with BBU or flash cache to be safe with write caching.
>
> I'd put all of pgsql on a different card than the file share.

This should not be a problem, i think you have reason here maybe i could use
internal disks and 1 raid card for Postgresql.

>> About the file-server part the files we are going to move are in the range
>> of 1gb~4gb in mostly a sequential access nature for what i have read of how
>> avid works, so i think the best would be a raid 6 here, but i am not sure
>> what hardware to buy because i have not stored never this quantity of
>> storage, i have read in this mailing list other times about external
>> enclosure boxes to attach storage and i have read raid cards recommendations
>> before, lsi, 3ware or areca seems safe bets but i don't know how to put all
>> the pieces together.
>
> If the data on this is considered disposable, then you could look at
> RAID-0 for the fastest performance.  Even with SW RAID0 you'd get
> incredible throughput with a few disks.

It is not disposable, all the contrary, i have to take special care of the this
files :)

>> I am studying too the possibility of use an OCZ Vertex 2 Pro with Flashcache
>> or Bcache to use it like a second level filesystem cache, any comments on
>> that please?
>
> My coworkers RAVE over ZFS solaris with flash drives for cache and
> spinning drives for mass storage.

i think neither flashcache nor bcache are at the level of zfs with l2arc in ssd
but should perform well anyway, what it is the preferred way of use good raid
cards with zfs? jbod and configure in raid-z? i have not used zfs still.

Regards,
Miguel Angel.