Re: SSI patch version 14

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: SSI patch version 14
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Kevin Grittner"  wrote:
> Jeff Davis wrote:
>
>> What does PredicateLockTuple do that needs a share lock? Does a
>> pin suffice?
>
> If one process is reading a tuple and another is writing it (e.g.,
> UPDATE or DELETE) the concern is that we need to be able to
> guarantee that either the predicate lock appears in time for the
> writer to see it on the call to CheckForSerializableConflictIn or
> the reader sees the MVCC changes in
> CheckForSerializableConflictOut. It's OK if the conflict is
> detected both ways, but if it's missed both ways then we could have
> a false negative, allowing anomalies to slip through. It didn't
> seem to me on review that acquiring the predicate lock after
> releasing the shared buffer lock (and just having the pin) would be
> enough to ensure that a write which followed that would see the
> predicate lock.
>
> reader has pin and shared lock
> writer increments pin count
> reader releases shared lock
> writer acquires exclusive lock
> writer checks predicate lock and fails to see one
> reader adds predicate lock
> we have a problem
Hmmm...  Or do we?  If both sides were careful to record what they're
doing before checking for a conflict, the pin might be enough.  I'll
check for that.  In at least one of those moves I was moving the
predicate lock acquisition from after the conflict check to before,
but maybe I didn't need to move it quite so far....
-Kevin

От: Jan Urbański
Сообщение: Re: pl/python custom exceptions for SPI
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: SAVEPOINTs and COMMIT performance