Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Shaun Thomas wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 07:56 AM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>> Hints are a necessary part of the
>> optimizer in all other databases. Without hints Postgres will not get
>> used in the company that I work for, period.
>>

> I've said repeatedly that EnterpriseDB, a fork of PostgreSQL, has the
> hints you seek, yet you seem to enjoy berating the PostgreSQL community
> as if it owes you something.
>
> Also, we don't care if you don't use PostgreSQL. If I put something up
> for free, some random guy not taking it won't exactly hurt my feelings.

Shaun, I don't need to convince you or the Postgres community. I needed
an argument to convince my boss.
My argument was that the sanctimonious and narrow minded Postgres
community is unwilling to even consider creating the tools I need for
large porting projects, tools provided by other major databases. This
discussion served my purpose wonderfully.  Project is killed, here we
part ways. No more problems for either of us. Good luck with the
"perfect optimizer" and good riddance. My only regret is about the time
I have wasted.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA

От: Kenneth Marshall
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...
От: Vitalii Tymchyshyn
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...