Re: How to best use 32 15k.7 300GB drives?

От Robert Schnabel
Тема Re: How to best use 32 15k.7 300GB drives?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 1/28/2011 11:14 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:

>>     It got lost from the original post but my database (9.0.0) is currently on
>>     my Windows XP 64-bit workstation in my office on a 16 drive Seagate 15k.5
>>     RAID5, no comments needed, I know, I'm moving it :-).  I'm moving it to my
>>     server which is Windows Ent Server 2008 R2 64-bit 8 AMD cores&  32G ram
>>     and these new drives/controller.
> Ughh...  No chance to get a Unix-based system (Linux, BSD, whatever) on
> there instead?  I really don't think Windows Server is going to help
> your situation one bit.. :(

Almost zero chance.  I basically admin the server myself so I can do
whatever I want but all permissions are controlled through campus active
directory and our departmental IT person doesn't do *nix.  So let's just
assume I'm stuck with Windows. The main purpose of the server at the
moment is to house our backup images.  I have two 9 TB arrays which I
use robocopy to mirror images once a day between our other server and my
workstation.  There's really not much of anything else ever eating up
CPUs on the server which is why I'm moving my database onto it.

>>     I appreciate the comments thus far.
> Let's hope you'll always appreciate them. :)
>
>     Thanks,
>
>         Stephen
Umm, that didn't quite read the way I meant it to when I wrote it.  All
comments are appreciated.  :-)

Seriously though, there have been points made that have made me rethink
how I go about processing data which I'm sure will help.  I'm in a
fairly fortunate position in that I can put these new drives on the
server and play around with different configurations while I maintain my
current setup on my workstation.  I guess I just need to experiment and
see what works.

Thanks again,
Bob

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: postgres 9 query performance
От: Robert Schnabel
Сообщение: Re: How to best use 32 15k.7 300GB drives?