Re: Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

От Nick Rudnick
Тема Re: Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Andy,

to a considerable extent I agree with you -- but the motivation exactly
is not typical business apps, but *academic teaching* needing a
demonstration platform for *non-standard* apps -- these guys are a DB
chair, and I was optimistic there might be some projects here which
might allow them to use PostgreSQL for that sake.

So I am meaning OO in a very broad sense.

All the best,

     Nick

On 01/21/2011 04:10 PM, Andy Colson wrote:

> Short answer: no.
>
> Here are some counter questions for you:
>
> Have you ever seen any actual real world usage of OORDBMS?
>
> Are there any products (good, useful products, not just academic
> playthings) that support OORDBMS?
>
> Bonus: If there is more than one product, do they share a common query
> language?
>
> You do realize that ORM sucks, right?
>
> "Strict SQL standard conformance is less important than the
> possibility to provide instructive and impressive examples to students."
>
> Well!  As long as its impressive!  Who cares about anything else!
>

> I've seen the buzword OODBMS for as long as OOP, and while OOP came
> and went, OODBMS never amounted to anything.  Let it go.
>
> If anything, OODBMS transformed into webservices.  There is your
> common query language.  JSON over HTTP!
>
> OOP in code is easily understandable.  OOData?  It doesnt even make
> sense.  OOP in code means a container to hold your common data and
> code together.  In PG you can use a Schema to do the same thing.  OOP
> needs polymorphism.  How does that even make sense with data?  (Its a
> double rainbow) WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN?!
>
> Academia saw OOP revolutionize code, and I think they wanted something
> to revolutionize data as well.  We have a set of rules and procedures
> for developing code... and those don't apply to data.  (There is a
> tiny little gray area however, when you get to stored procedures,
> which is code, but dont let it fool you, its data).
>
> In fact, what if I told you:  Code is just data.
>
> There, whew!  I spent my existentialism for the month :-)
>
> -Andy

Сообщение: Re: Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Сообщение: Re: Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)