Re: Install PostgreSQL as part of a desktop application, but how to coop with existing installations?

От Jensen Somers
Тема Re: Install PostgreSQL as part of a desktop application, but how to coop with existing installations?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 17/01/2011 16:46, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:31:45PM +0100, Jensen Somers wrote:
>> But, from your initial reply I understood that a user can simply browse
>> to my database installation folder (e.g.: C:/ProgramData/MyApp/data),
>> read out and/or modify a configuration file and he can access the entire
>> database and modify the data. And that's what I want to prevent.
> Dunno about CE, but this is also trivial using SQLite.
>
> But also, given your needs, I wonder pretty seriously whether Postgres
> is the right thing for your application.  It sounds like this is
> always single-user with no contention.  Postgres is a bad fit for
> that.  Use SQLite or one of the other things that target embedded use.

The problem is that the library I want to use does not support SQLite as
a database provider and SQL CE is limited to a database file of 4GB and
lacks several interesting SQL features, hence why I was interested in
using PostgreSQL.

- Jensen