Re: How to generate unique invoice numbers foreach day

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: How to generate unique invoice numbers foreach day
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In that case you have to manage the IDs on your own, the sequences won't
help you in this (unless you really create one sequence for each day,
which does not seem like a good solution to me).

A really simple solution might be to do a BEFORE INSERT trigger that
checks the last ID inserted for the day, locks that ID somehow (e.g. the
record with the ID) so that you don't get duplicate IDs and uses that ID.

Another solution is to manage the IDs on your own in a separate table,
i.e. create a table

CREATE TABLE invoice_numbers (
   invoice_date DATE NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
   invoice_last INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
);

and then something like

BEGIN;

   UPDATE invoice_numbers SET invoice_last = (invoice_last + 1)
    WHERE invoice_date = '2010-11-...' RETURNING invoice_last;

   ... use the new invoice_last value

COMMIT;

But again, this might be a concurrency bottleneck if there's a lot of
invoices created at the same time by different users (or if the
transaction is long).

Tomas