Re: is it good to disable autovacuum and schedule routine vacuum process?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: is it good to disable autovacuum and schedule routine vacuum process?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/04/2011 04:45 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
> I am using Postgresql 9.0.1.
> I want to know which one is good regarding  VACUUM - Routine VACUUM
> manualy or AutoVacuum.
> Recently, I found in my production that  some tables were not vacuumed
> for a good period of time when the autovacuum was enabled and the DB was
> slow. I vacuumed the DB manually and the performance was good.
> Can anyone explain why this was happened and is it good to disable
> autovacuum and schedule routine vacuum process?

Keep autovacuum enabled, and if required make it run *more* not less. If
autovacuum is keeping up with your database's write load on 8.4 and
above, you should not need to vacuum manually.

See the PostgreSQL documentation and wiki for information on tuning
autovacuum.

--
Craig Ringer