Re: "writable CTEs"

От Yeb Havinga
Тема Re: "writable CTEs"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2010-12-29 09:16, Mark Kirkwood wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:4D1AEE5D.6070403@catalyst.net.nz"
type="cite"></blockquote>On 29/12/10 03:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote: <blockquote
cite="mid:1293546926.9478.1.camel@fsopti579.F-Secure.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On tis, 2010-12-28 at 00:19 +0000,
PeterGeoghegan wrote:

call CTEs CTEs at any point. We call them WITH queries. I think that
that's a mistake because we call them CTEs everywhere else.
which to me is a term that has no relationship with anything else.

firstheard about this "CTE" business I had to go to the web to discover that they were components of the WITH clause -
TableExpressions from SQLserver users, at roughly the same time that CTE's were introduced in 8.4. When I decided to
usethem, it took me a while to figure out the docs refered to it as "WITH queries".<br /><br /> ISTM we're already past
thechoice to have a single name. IMHO it would be best if the documentation has a reference / index part in which both
WITHqueries and Common Table Expressions (CTE) are listed.<br /><br /> Also, the terms CTE and CTEScan appear in
EXPLAINoutput, it would be nice to have a meaningful hit when looking for the term in the documentation page, instead