Re: New indexing technique

От 3dmashup
Тема Re: New indexing technique
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Nirmesh,

You may wish to start off  with a little reading;

Toni Guttmans PHD  thesis on R-Trees.  It lots on good information on how R-Trees work.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.66.1675&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Joey Hellersteins paper on GiST.  To  quote the paper " In a single data structure, the GiST provides all the basic search tree logic required by a database system, thereby unifying disparate structures such as B+-trees and R-trees in a single piece of code, and opening the application of search trees to general extensibility."

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/vldb95-gist.pdf

Any of the UC Berkeley  Indexing papers and presentations

http://gist.cs.berkeley.edu/papers.html

The PostgreSQL docs on index extensions

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/xindex.html

Then there is the relevant  PostgreSQL source code directories  for implementations

http://doxygen.postgresql.org/dir_31ee19f57a8ad805951cec78b0cc5ec5.html

This is lots of information, it  will give you  the theory and the implementation of R-Trees and and GiST.
FYI,  a 1D R-Tree  is analogous to  a  B-Tree.

Regards

Tim