Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/23/2010 08:59 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 16:57, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't particularly mind breaking that.  If we leave it as-is, we'll
>>> be encouraging people to use superuser accounts for things that don't
>>> need that, which can't be good from a security standpoint.
>>
>> And if we break it, we'll be adding an additional, mandatory step to
>> make replication work that isn't required today.  You might think
>> that's OK, but I think the majority opinion is that it's already
>> excessively complex.
>
> Most of the people I run across in the real world are rather surprised
> how *easy* it is to set up, and not how complex. And tbh, the only
> complexity complaints I've heard there are about the requirement to
> start/backup/stop to get it up and running. I've always told everybody
> to create a separate account to do it, and not heard a single comment
> about that.

I agree - people I talked to are fairly surprised on us not using a
dedicated replication role but are surprised at the complexity of
actually initializing the replication (mostly the "we cannot do a base
backup over the replication connection" missfeature)

Stefan