Re: How much do the hint bits help?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: How much do the hint bits help?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> right -- see the attached clog_stress.sql above.  It creates a script
> that inserts records in blocks of 10000, deletes half of them, and
> vacuums.  Neither the execution of the script nor a seq scan following
> its execution showed an interesting performance difference (which I am
> arbitrarily calling 5% in either direction).  Like I said though, I
> don't trust the patch or the results yet.

Given that DBT2 stressed the bufrmgr contention pretty well, it seems
like it'd be worth trying this for hint bits in the test servers.  We
should see if Mark Wong can do this in the new year.

I might be able to test on some client workloads.  We'll see; currently
I lack the harness to simulate a high level of client contention.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com