Re: How much do the hint bits help?

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: How much do the hint bits help?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> *) what's a good way to stress the clog severely? I'd like to pick
> a degenerate case to get a better idea of the way things stand
> without them.
The worst I can think of is a large database with a 90/10 mix of
reads to writes -- all short transactions.  Maybe someone else can
do better.  In particular, I'm not sure how savepoints might play
into a degenerate case.
Since we're always talking about how to do better with hint bits
during an unlogged bulk load, it would be interesting to benchmark
one of those followed by a `select count(*) from newtable;` with and
without the patch, on a data set too big to fit in RAM.
> *) is there community interest in a full patch that fills in the
> missing details not implemented here?
I'm certainly curious to see real numbers.
-Kevin

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: The cost of visibillity testing? (gin-search)
От: Mark Kirkwood
Сообщение: Re: How much do the hint bits help?