Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/15/2010 07:34 AM, Andrus Moor wrote:
>> No, this is just pilot error. Any version of pg_dump will produce
>> output that is meant to be loaded into the matching server version
>> (or a later version). If you are intending to load back into 8.4,
>> use the 8.4 pg_dump.
>>
>> You may have been reading the recommendation to use the later version's
>> pg_dump when dumping an older server to perform an upgrade. It's good
>> advice, but only for upgrades.
>
> Windows application needs to support backup/restore for all servers >=8
> between same server version.
> So it must distibute 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 9.0 pg_dump/pg_restore
> with application,
> including all VC++ runtime versions and all dlls specific to this
> version and invoke
> specific pg_dump/pg_restore depending on server version ?

No it only needs to use the pg_dump/pg_restore that exist for each Pg
instance.

> Do you really think that this is reasonable ?
> I'nt there a simpler way ?
>
> I havent seen that pg_admin includes every pg_dump / pg_restore version.

I don't use pgAdmin so I am flying blind here, but I guess they use some
variation of what I suggest above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com