Re: function attributes

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: function attributes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 12/11/2010 08:01 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

>> At the moment the behaviour is triggered by a custom setting (plperl.pass_binary_bytea), but this isn't really
satisfactory.We could turn it on  permanently, but that would break a lot of legacy code. What we really need is a way
ofmarking a function with some attributes. Of course, we could put it in the program text like plpgsql's
#variable_conflict,but that's really rather ugly. The grammar already has an attribute mechanism for functions, and
ISTMwe just need to extend that a bit to allow setting of function attributes reasonably flexibly, much as we can now
specifyformat options on EXPLAIN or we'll soon be able to specify options for foreign table

> What does the existing attribute grammar for functions look like? An example perhaps?

create function foo(....) ..... with ( /attribute/ [, ...] )

Currently allowed attributes are isStrict and isCachable. The mechanism
is effectively obsolete right now, but we could use it for what I have
in mind quite nicely.

cheers

andrew