Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Polak wrote:

> We are in the process of deciding on how to proceed on a database
> upgrade.  We currently have MS SQL 2000 running on Windows 2003 (on my
> test server).  I was shocked at the cost for MS SQL 2008 R2 for a new
> server (2 CPU license).  I started comparing DB’s and came across
> postgresql.  It seemed to be exactly what I was after.  All of our
> programming is in ASP.net.  Since I am running MSSQL 2000 I have no
> benefit for .Net integration, so it is not a concern.
>

> I ran a head to head test of MS SQL 2000 and Postgresql 9.0.  Both are
> running on Windows 2003.  What I found was quite surprising and I am
> wondering if anyone can point out what is going on here.
> Here is the test I ran.
> I created 2 tables, the main table had 5 fields with a serial ID
> field.  The second table linked to table 1 for a state field.
>
> I had ASP.net via MSSQL create 1,000 records in the main table. Took
> 9.85 seconds to complete.
> Next I had ASP.net via Postgresql create 1,000 records.  Took .65625
> seconds.
> Postgresql smoked MS SQL server on that test.
>

> Next test is to use ASP.net and join all 1,000 rows with table 2 and
> then display the text out.
>
> MS SQL took 0.76 seconds to display
> select name,address,city,state,statename,stateid,other from pgtemp1
> left join pgtemp2 on state=stateid
>

> Then I did the same test via Postgresql and it took 8.85 seconds!  I
> tried it again as I thought I did something wrong.  I did a few tweaks
> such as increasing the shared buffers.  Still the best I could get it
> to was 7.5 seconds.  This is insanely slow compared to MSSQL 2000.
> What am I missing.  Here is my SQL statement for postgresql:
> select name,address,city,state,statename,stateid,other from pgtemp1
> left join pgtemp2 on state=stateid
>

> Any ideas on why the Postgres server is soooo much slower on the
> joins?   I am trying to understand what is going on here so please
> don’t flame me.  Any advice is appreciated.

Are all structures the same? Are all indexes the same? What does
"explain analyze" tell you?

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA

От: Gary Doades
Сообщение: Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows
От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows