Re: DELETE with LIMIT (or my first hack)

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: DELETE with LIMIT (or my first hack)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> We need a convincing use case for it. So far the only one that's seemed
> at all convincing to me is the one about deleting in batches. But that
> might be enough.

Queueing.  If logless tables are in 9.1, then using PostgreSQL as the
backend for a queue becomes a sensible thing to do.   And what is a
"pop" off a queue other than:

DELETE FROM my_queue ORDER BY age LIMIT 1;

For this reason, I think accepting a good patch for DELETE would be
worthwhile even if we don't have UPDATE yet.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com